Preston North End

July 1933 - 1949

Shankly signed for Preston North End in the summer of 1933. The previous season, his first as a pro, he had broken into the Carlisle United side mid-season and impressed with his enthusiastic play. Preston, who had tried already to sign Shankly before he joined Carlisle, were not to be outdone a second time. The fee agreed between the two clubs was £500 and Bill received £10 as a signing on fee.

As had happened at Carlisle, he started the season in the reserves, for this was now a higher standard of football, Preston being in Division 2. He eventually made his full debut for them on December 9th against Hull City and quickly established himself as a regular and a crowd favourite owing to his whole hearted attitude and commitment to the side. At the end of the season Preston had gained promotion to the Division 1 and Shankly had become a cornerstone of the side.

Shanks in the 1946-47 season

Shankly clearly impressed Preston North End's correspondent, Walter Pilkington, who wrote at the end of Shankly's debut season: "One of this season's discoveries, Bill Shankly, played with rare tenacity and uncommonly good ideas for a lad of twenty. He is full of good football and possessed with unlimited energy; he should go far."

In an otherwise disappointing season, in 1936-37, Preston had the satisfaction of reaching the F.A. Cup Final. At Wembley they came up against a strong Sunderland team that boasted Patsy Gallacher and Raich Carter. Sunderland ran out 3:1 winners and Preston never did themselves justice. The following year, Shankly scored his first league goal for Preston in a 2-2 draw against, of all teams, Liverpool at Anfield on 2nd February 1938. North End were again to reach the Cup Final that season and this time they ran out 1:0 winners against Huddersfield. They were now one of the strongest teams in the country.

It was the pinnacle of Shankly's playing career when Preston won the FA Cup in 1938 as the man himself remembers: "It was warm and the Preston players posed for photographers. Tommy Smith, the captain, was carried shoulder high and we all had our hands on the Cup. The sweat poured off us, even though we had short-sleeved jerseys, having learned from the year before. I've still got that silk jersey, made in Preston."

Huddersfield's centre-half, Alf Young, brought down George Mutch inside the penalty area and Mutch scored from the resulting penalty that won Preston the cup. Shankly's tongue-in-cheek humour after the match probably didn't make Young feel any better: "I was standing next to Alf Young afterwards. Tears were running down his cheeks. I said to him, 'Ay, and that's no' the first one you've given away!'''

Footage from the 1938 Cup Final
(uploaded by BULLFROGBUZZ)

Preston North End legend Tom Finney was Shankly's teammate: "Shanks first set foot in Deepdale in 1933 and within months, at just 19, he was in the first team. As you may imagine, he wasn't a guy to give up his shirt without a fight and he followed his debut by playing 85 games in a row. He stayed for 17 seasons, eventually returning to Carlisle as manager. During his time at Preston, he won an FA Cup winner's medal, in 1938, and was capped by Scotland; he was also a member of our double-winning wartime side. A much better all-round player than some might have you believe, Shanks worked tirelessly to improve. After morning training he was always asking if anyone fancied going back for an extra session or a game of head tennis in the afternoon."

Bill Shankly lost 7 years of his career to the war. When war broke out in 1939, he was 26 years old, and the time lost until 1945 spanned his peak years as a player. Bill, who was in the RAF, starred for Norwich, Luton, Arsenal and Partick Thistle in the war as well as playing a single game for Liverpool on 30th May 1942 in a 4-1 win over Everton at Anfield. When full League football resumed for the 1946-47 season, he was already being considered (wrongly) as too old. Preston still held his registration, and despite playing for a number of clubs between 1939 and 1946, it was Deepdale where he resumed his full professional career after hostilities had ceased.

Shankly was now viewed as being part of a pre-war generation. Many clubs were throwing in youngsters in an attempt to make a fresh post-war start. Shankly, still a hugely accomplished player, soon found himself on the fringe of things and would often find himself helping to bring on the kids in the reserves.

In 1949, Shankly was Preston's captain, but struggling in Division 1. Carlisle offered Shankly the chance to become their manager and he took it. When Tommy Docherty took Shankly's place in the Preston team, Bill told him, 'Congratulations. You are now the greatest right-half in the world. Just put the number 4 shirt on and let it run round, it knows where to go.'

Bill could look back on a successful playing career: 

"As a player I specialized in tackling, which is an art, and I was never sent off the field or had my name in a referee's book. The art of tackling, as with many things, is in the timing - the contact, winning the ball, upsetting the opposition, maybe even hurting them. You're in, you're out, you've won it and you've hurt him and left him lying there, but it's not a foul because you have timed everything right. I played it hard, but fair. No cheating. I'd have broken somebody's leg maybe, with a hard tackle, with a bit of spirit, but that's a different story from cheating."

Bill Shankly stand at Preston North End's Deepdale

Playing statistics:
Debut: 9th December 1933 v Hull City
Games: 297
Goals: 13

1933-34 Runners Up Division 2
1936-37 F.A. Cup Runners Up
1937-38 F.A. Cup Winners

BILL SHANKLY (playing for PNE)

Jimmy Cagney in baggy shorts
Packed a tackle
Harder than a "piece"
kitbag not violin case
Deadlier than a smoking gun
And the philosophers soul
Forged its future history
Whilst honing skills carved
on ice and mud and the legs
Of fearful hearts that would
Hesitate just long enough.

© Sharon Marshall (Beautiful Game) 2001

Shanks quote

"I was sitting on a dustbin outside the temporary offices of Liverpool Football Club when three or four photographers arrived. 'Can I take a picture of you sitting there?', asked one. 'Well, they are signing a load of rubbish, so people might as well know it straight away,' I joked. There was nowhere else for me to sit. I sat on the dustbin for twenty minutes after the photographers had left. When Shankly came out of the door, he shook hands and said, 'Medical!' He beckoned me over to his car, a Capri and off we went. 'You'll like the stadium, son. Great'. He was driving the car while half-looking round at me. 'Great supporters, you know, son. The best in the land. Tremendous to play for. Have you seen the Kop? No, I don't suppose you have.' I never got the chance to say anything.

'We have some great players here, son. Great...great. Emlyn Hughes. Great player. Chris Lawler... great player. Tommy Smith... hard boy. Hard boy is Tommy... great player. Roger Hunt is gone, son. Ian St John is gone. But they're not forgotten, son. There is a future here if you knuckle down and play.' We arrived at the club doctor's surgery and I stripped off. Shankly watched me like a hawk. When we left the doctors he drove me back to the ground to talk terms. As he drove, he talked of the time when he first came to the club. 'Jesus Christ', he began. 'I asked a wee boy for directions and he knew who I was, and I'd only been in Liverpool half an hour!' He obviously could not wait to get me training. When we arrived at Anfield and walked into the temporary offices, I could hear him talking way ahead of me. Talking the way he always did - so everyone could hear, especially the person who was the subject of the conversation. 'He looks nothing dressed, but you should see him stripped off. He's built like a tank!'"


This website is owned by